What To Do About Dry, Itchy, Wintry Skin
- Posted on: Feb 28 2016
It’s that time of year when your skin spends its days at home or in the office, blasted by heat, begging for moisture. You may find yourself scratching, rubbing or itching your legs and arms or attempting to reach that little spot right in your in the middle of your back.
If you are suffering from dry, flaky, itchy skin this winter, here are five cold-weather, skin-care tips:
- Take shorter showers and avoid water that is too hot – Showering or bathing too often, especially in very hot water, strips the natural oils from your skin, causing it to become dry.
- Exfoliate – Use a salt or sugar-based exfoliating scrub as a natural way to rid your body of dry, flaky, dead skin that has built up over time. Apply the scrub to your legs and arms and anywhere else on your body your skin is dry. Rub it in for 30-60 seconds and rinse with warm water. Do this in the shower at least twice a week.
- Get a humidifier – Low humidity can pull water from your skin. Running a humidifier in your home, particularly when you have the heat on, can restore moisture to the air.
- Consider body brushing – Brushing benefits your teeth and hair and can benefit your body as well. Look for a body brush that is specifically designed for skin and dry-brush yourself all over for about 10 minutes a day, preferably before showering or bathing. Although it may sound counter-intuitive, it’s not. You will improve your circulation and notice a difference in your skin within a few days.
- And last, but not least – MOISTURIZE – If you aren’t applying a good moisturizer or body butter to your skin every day, you’re asking for “the itches.” Look for a heavy-duty, moisturizing body butter or cream that is specially designed to seal in moisture after you bathe or shower and apply it while your skin is slightly damp.
To-do-list item of month: Make it a priority to take better care of your skin! Call for a consultation appointment if you have any concerns about your skin: 630-818-7546.
Posted in: Skin Care